Wednesday 31 March 2010

Out on the bike - around Keswick

Having earmarked this weekend as a possible 'training away' weekend - I nearly didn't bother. I'd done so little training in previous 2 months, I didn't feel it was worth the effort and cost of travelling with so little fitness. On the Thurs night I offhandedly remarked to my younger son, who has always hated camping and being in a vehicle any length of time, 'don't s'pose you'd want to go away this weekend anyway, with not liking travelling...'. I was shocked at his response of 'yeah, great, I really feel like travelling, let's climb Catbells, can we stay at that campsite with the cafe that does big breakfasts?!!' The key factor for him was that his big brother wouldn't be going! So I borrowed Dad's van (which has a diesel heater - makes all the difference in March), and off we went on Saturday morning, excited that son number 2 might get to like camping (of a sort) afterall - which in the scheme of my life/family would be very useful!

It's always exciting, seeing the mountains of the Lake District loom as you head west. Having arrived and had a cuppa, I was off on my bike for the first time this year...unfortunately, I'd forgotten the bike pump, so went via a bike shop in Keswick (must go back there - rather nice sales chap and cafe!)(there are lots of nice mountain bike chaps - perhaps I'm in the wrong area of the country!). ...And so off on the hilly section of Keswick Tri bike route on the far side of Derwent Water (along Catbells in fact). I wanted to try this as I wimped out of a horrible looking hairpin in the event last year. (hadn't reckied it)...it's very steep leading into it - and an extremely tight 180 degrees round...looks intimidating..you're thinking 'if it's that steep going into it and you lose speed going round the bend, how on earth will I stay on the bike'. But in fact, I found out last year that once round the bend, the road is nowhere near as steep. So I kept going - with the added incentive of a mountain biker not far in front of me, and made it - and cheered! After that it's a lovely undulating ride above the lake, great views..more boring coming back on the Keswick side of the lake - and more cars too - then back through town - and up the steepish hill out of Keswick towards Ambleside. This hill was exhausting - didn't think i was going to make it on current fitness - but did - including turning off near the top to the campsite - which was even further uphill. So very pleased for a first time out.

Sat 27th March 10
Bike - hilly, about 1 hr 15.

Sun 28th Mar 10
Walked up Catbells - ran odd bits here and there.

No comments:

Post a Comment