Sunday 6 June 2010

Wensleydale recky..scary



Think i might have bitten off more than I can chew with this one! Whilst attempting to climb the numerous 1 in 4 ascents, (the event website description says there are 4, but actually it is more, I'm pretty sure!), I admit to wondering whether I should just NOT enter. There's a serious chance I'll not finish the bike route before the 4pm run start cut off time...more than that, I'm not convinced it's possible for me to do that particular bike route followed by a 12 mile fell run. I know for sure I'll be walking a fair few of the steepest bits. Haven't been on the first bit out of the swim yet - but i would guess that's a bit to walk at that stage, not having warmed up yet....on to Askrigg - I'll probably walk the first bit out of Askrigg - although it's just about possible as it's fairly short, i think I counted 6 very steep sections before you get to the tops - last week I only managed the 3rd in full, and parts of the 5th and 6th. So if I attempt the first, I'll definitely have no legs for any of the others. What's my aim for that bit? - I think 1.walk, 2.walk, 3 bike, 4 walk, 5 and 6 bike.

On the positive side - I managed to stay on the bike coming down the other side into Swaledale - seriously steep and scary - I was hanging my glutes over the back of the saddle, and was full on the brakes (I'm sure my tyres must be about worn through). But it's about as hard to walk down, so you might aswell be on the bike. (I failed to get the car up here last year - had to go back down backwards).

On the psychotic personality side - Muker tea shop's dishwasher had broken down and it was shut for a few hours....I was NOT happy, having been thinking - hard - about cream scones (the best ever here) - whilst climbing...in hot sun...

Then it's the return over the tops to Wensleydale on the 'Buttertubs' road. It climbs fairly steeply (but probably possibly? I was tired the day I did this part so I walked much of it (also very hot, sunny day)- it was the 3rd day of camping/training) - maybe 14-17%? Then it gets steeper and less possible and I'll probably walk it - to a flatish section, before another extremely steep bit (with a fence alongside to stop you faling to your death!) - which I'll walk. Then lovely over the undulating moor tops again, and a 17% drop down to Hardraw. Once on the main road, it's relatively flat and fast til the Garsdale head turn, 10ish miles down the road, maybe more? Though by the standards of many triathlons, would probably still be classed as hilly!

So, UP to Garsdale station and beyond - impossibly steep again, especially the section passed the station road and just after. I did this on training day 1, but still couldn't ride much of it. Spectacular views - over to the Howgills behind, and Dentdale beyond...and another scary descent with full on brakes down passed Dent Station. At the bottom there's a pretty section through the valley before climbing - probably mostly manageably by Aug - (17%?), passed Newby Head (?) viaduct, eventually meeting the main road going back to Hawes - which seemed to go on for ages, even though it was only 7 miles. Psychologically I expected it to be easier, as it was physically - but in reality, I was knackered! And I'd not started with the Muker loop, as will have to on the event..

So the bike bits were day 1 and 3 - though I did from Hardraw up to tops above Askrigg on day 1 aswell as as 3 - turned back as i decided i didn't have the energy or time to go all round the loop.

Day 2 I attempted the run. This was a positive, because when done in isolation ie not preceded by impossible bike route - it's mostly runnable. It is a bit relentlessly up for much of the first 6 miles - but nowhere near as steep as at Helvellyn. And there is a section of flatter moorland before (I think?) a final climb up to Gunnerside. I didn't quite make it that far though, not through lack of energy, but because it got really boggy. It had rained all day, and was still drizzly, and i got a bit spooked. I started trying to detour the flooded path via peat boggy areas - but got worried about sinking down a hole. And even though i could see the top, the cloud was swirling around threatening to engulf it again - which when I looked back not too long after, it had done so....and I'd only seen one other person up there, a long time before...I did, however, have the company of lots of amazing sounding birds - I knew which were curlews and lapwings - but wasn't sure about a third, especially common on the section (unlike the bike routes - where it was mainly the curlews and lapwings) - it made a high pitched single very clear note (about a top f!) - and you could hear lots of them talking to eachother...I was hoping it was a plover, as i know a song - taught by a friend living not far from there - with plovers, peewits and curlews in it! But the pic in the bird book didn't look like it.

So the positives: - I can go down hill steeply without going over the handlebars, though I would prefer to close my eyes!

- the run is potentially manageable

- I managed 3 days hard training in a row ok - shame I'll have to do all that in a day..umm - therein lies the problem

Conclusion - I can't bring myself to not do it now! I will get better on the steep hills...there's still 9 weeks, 8 if don't include the week before. Better to do it and fail, than not to do it and have no possibility of managing it..

..but I need to plan my training, and up it loads....not quite sure how to go about it. One of the main limiting factors on the hills was endurance on really steep bits - keeping up that extreme pedalling....is that 'anaerobic endurance'? I will look up some of the cycloclub training plans and see if i can adapt them...

sat 29th May 10
Sea swim, 30 mins ish

Sunday 30th May
medium run - 1.5 hrs - first part of W.dale run route - up to cairn before get to gate at the top before the flatter section. Felt good. (evening)

Monday 31st May
medium hilly bike (8.30am) (2 hrs) - about 20miles - main road towards Sedburgh, left to Garsdale head, steep up, up etc, across tops and drop to Dentdale, up again to meet main roadm left and back to Hawes, and up to Hardraw

short hilly bike (5.30) (1.5 hr ish) - about 13 miles - over t Askrigg and up to the cattle grid and back again.

Tuesday 1st June
long run - about 2.5 hrs - 10miles ish - from Hardraw following penine way up nearly to Shunner fell and back. Felt good, even though drizzly

Wednesday 2nd June
med hilly bike - about 20 miles - to Askrigg, up and over to Muker, up and over back to Hardraw.
Tired today, and very hot. 3 hrs?

Thursday 3rd june -
sea swim 30 mins ish- tired, but beautiful evening so couldn't resist!


2 comments:

  1. Similar to training for Helvellyn, I'd recommend the Lemington Bank training. Once or twice a week, do the different climbs (there's 3, all have a different character). Gradually build the number of reps. 8 weeks is about perfect for a race-specific build, if you throw an easier week in the middle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for that, Ian - didn't know anyone actually read this thing! I just do it for me - good way of keeping track! Have been doing once up one of the Lemmingtons - preceded by the A1 - Lem'ton top road...then onto the time trial - thought the tt might help with the hard breathing endurance! ..and it's fun! Will also do some tough spinning at home - easier to get more into shorter time..ummm - guess you're right - will have to actually do more than once up the banks!!

    ReplyDelete