Tuesday 6 July 2010

Pulling out (?)








It's almost a decision....but hard to make it quite real..big part of me still wants to do it...but I just have no money at the moment. On top of lacking the required training. Just been so hard to find enough energy in the time I have. If I'd been training loads, I'd probably find the money from somewhere - but don't feel justified in borrowing it in the circumstances. Been stressing lots about money - and just have to make cuts.

I think I'll carry on this blog though, til after Helvellyn - as I am now officially entered, courtesy of having marshalled a Trihard event last weekend - 'A Day in the Lakes'. Arrived at 9ish on the Fri evening at the campsite and wondered what on earth I'd landed in - 6 receptionists and a queue of folk wanting to book in...bit like a holiday camp - loads of noise! But the tri event had it's own field, with a track down to Ullswater. Next morning, I set off on my bike towards Glenridding - and on passed, though Patterdale and up Kirkstone Pass. (where Helvellyn tri comes down). And no, I didn't manage to bike it all...but did large chunks of it, with a few stops to catch my breath. Walked most of the last bit, which is steeper. Then stopped and had my sandwich looking down the Struggle, wondering how the hell I'd managed to bike up that! And so back down to Glenridding, where I locked the bike up and set off on the 'run' (Helvellyn tri route). I'd forgotten how hard it was! And it was such a hot day too. Bits of my shoulders where I hadn't quite reached with sun cream, got burnt. What a slog up that first bit...which I didn't run any of. Had a lie down and another sandwich at the top, and nearly fell asleep, listening to skylarks...then set off on the only pleasantly runnable part to the approach to Swirral edge. chatted to a woman a bit..then to confront the fear of the rock climb..the main aim of the day. Actually, the scariest bit is not the final climb - but getting over a jutty out bit with very narrow footing just before the final climb. Saw a woman having a panic attack. But I held my nerve - watched a few others just ahead, and followed the event organiser's advice, having chatted to him that morning, of keeping left - don't go straight up. And got there ok. Even took a few photos on the way..






By the time I made it back to my bike, I was absolutely knackered - and still had to bike 10+ miles back - I only just made it to the pub in Pooley Bridge by 7pm, where the marshalls were being treated to a meal. That was when I heard that an 18 yr old lad had drowned on the route of the tri swim in Ullswater that afternoon. A tri swim training session had been going on nearby and ended up duck-diving for an hour looking for him. The body needed to be found if the swim was to go ahead...it turned up in the middle of the night.

I had a fantastic marshall position - good view over lake and fellside, at the top of a hill section just before a downhill bit, and not too far from the start - so easy to get to for me - meant I could take a deck chair! Also had a radio, in case I was still there when england played Germany in the world cup! I was able to give lots of much needed encouragement to alot of totally knackered triathletes, who hadn't yet settled into their running, and were feeling daunted with the miles still to go...and watch a regatta on the lake at the same time!

Falling asleep, so I'll just try and summarise training since..

Sat 26 June - bike - about 30miles, including steep uphill - Kirkstone Pass (2-3 hrs?)
run - Helvellyn route - 9 miles - v steep - 3.5 hrs ish

Wed 30 June 2010 (period)

spin bike session no. 5 - 1 hr
cyclo core cooldown 15 mins

Sat 3rd July, 9.30am - sea swim - lots jellyfish! about 800m, about 30mins
Sun 4th July - 10am - bike - to and from rehearsal at Brinkburn Priory - quite hilly in parts - distance? about 1 hr, 10 mins




No comments:

Post a Comment